it’s 2013 and there’s no delivery service for ice cream and ice lollies?
fuck this earth
what the fuck is an ice lollie
those are fucking popsicles
NOT IN ENGLAND THEY FUCKIN AINT
here we call them popsicles, and here we have them delivered via icecream truck
After learning my flight was detained 4 hours,
I heard the announcement:
If anyone in the vicinity of gate 4-A understands any Arabic,
Please come to the gate immediately.
Well—one pauses these days. Gate 4-A was my own gate. I went there.
An older woman in full traditional Palestinian dress,
Just like my grandma wore, was crumpled to the floor, wailing loudly.
Help, said the flight service person. Talk to her. What is her
Problem? we told her the flight was going to be four hours late and she
I put my arm around her and spoke to her haltingly.
Shu dow-a, shu- biduck habibti, stani stani schway, min fadlick,
Sho bit se-wee?
The minute she heard any words she knew—however poorly used—
She stopped crying.
She thought our flight had been canceled entirely.
She needed to be in El Paso for some major medical treatment the
Following day. I said no, no, we’re fine, you’ll get there, just late,
Who is picking you up? Let’s call him and tell him.
We called her son and I spoke with him in English.
I told him I would stay with his mother till we got on the plane and
Would ride next to her—Southwest.
She talked to him. Then we called her other sons just for the fun of it.
Then we called my dad and he and she spoke for a while in Arabic and
Found out of course they had ten shared friends.
Then I thought just for the heck of it why not call some Palestinian
Poets I know and let them chat with her. This all took up about 2 hours.
She was laughing a lot by then. Telling about her life. Answering
She had pulled a sack of homemade mamool cookies—little powdered
Sugar crumbly mounds stuffed with dates and nuts—out of her bag—
And was offering them to all the women at the gate.
To my amazement, not a single woman declined one. It was like a
Sacrament. The traveler from Argentina, the traveler from California,
The lovely woman from Laredo—we were all covered with the same
Powdered sugar. And smiling. There are no better cookies.
And then the airline broke out the free beverages from huge coolers—
Non-alcoholic—and the two little girls for our flight, one African
American, one Mexican American—ran around serving us all apple juice
And lemonade and they were covered with powdered sugar too.
And I noticed my new best friend—by now we were holding hands—
Had a potted plant poking out of her bag, some medicinal thing,
With green furry leaves. Such an old country traveling tradition. Always
Carry a plant. Always stay rooted to somewhere.
And I looked around that gate of late and weary ones and thought,
This is the world I want to live in. The shared world.
Not a single person in this gate—once the crying of confusion stopped
—has seemed apprehensive about any other person.
They took the cookies. I wanted to hug all those other women too.
This can still happen anywhere.
Not everything is lost.” —Naomi Shihab Nye (b. 1952), “Wandering Around an Albuquerque Airport Terminal.” I think this poem may be making the rounds, this week, but that’s as it should be. (via awelltraveledwoman)
I’ve never watched an episode of Game of Thrones in my life and even I know that you don’t fuck with the blonde dragon lady.
and that the kid with the crown is the human version of period cramps
and jon snow is ned stark’s bastard
that’s the show
When Strangers Click, a 2011 documentary about online dating.
It reminds me of that famous Margaret Atwood quote: “Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them.” It also reminds me of something written by one of the mods of Sex Worker Problems: “Misandry irritates. Misogyny kills.”
If women covering up their bodies worked, Afghanistan would have a lower rate of sexual assault than Polynesia. It doesn’t.
If not drinking alcohol worked, children would not be raped. They are.
If your advice to a woman to avoid rape is to be the most modestly dressed, soberest and first to go home, you may as well add “so the rapist will choose someone else”.
If your response to hearing a woman has been raped is “she didn’t have to go to that bar/nightclub/party” you are saying that you want bars, nightclubs and parties to have no women in them. Unless you want the women to show up, but wear kaftans and drink orange juice. Good luck selling either of those options to your friends.
Or you could just be honest and say that you don’t want less rape, you want (even) less prosecution of rapists.” —
Daaang! Well said.
-J.K Rowling” —(via hufflepuff-98)
- Fancy knowing anything about me?
- 1: Full name
- 2: Age
- 3: 3 Fears
- 4: 3 things I love
- 5: 4 turns on
- 6: 4 turns off
- 7: My best friend
- 8: Sexual orientation
- 9: My best first date
- 10: How tall am I
- 11: What do I miss
- 12: What time were I born
- 13: Favourite color
- 14: Do I have a crush
- 15: Favourite quote
- 16: Favourite place
- 17: Favourite food
- 18: Do I use sarcasm
- 19: What am I listening to right now
- 20: First thing I notice in new person
- 21: Shoe size
- 22: Eye color
- 23: Hair color
- 24: Favourite style of clothing
- 25: Ever done a prank call?
- 27: Meaning behind my URL
- 28: Favourite movie
- 29: Favourite song
- 30: Favourite band
- 31: How I feel right now
- 32: Someone I love
- 33: My current relationship status
- 34: My relationship with my parents
- 35: Favourite holiday
- 36: Tattoos and piercing i have
- 37: Tattoos and piercing i want
- 38: The reason I joined Tumblr
- 39: Do I and my last ex hate each other?
- 40: Do I ever get “good morning” or “good night ” texts?
- 41: Have I ever kissed the last person you texted?
- 42: When did I last hold hands?
- 43: How long does it take me to get ready in the morning?
- 44: Have You shaved your legs in the past three days?
- 45: Where am I right now?
- 46: If I were drunk & can’t stand, who’s taking care of me?
- 47: Do I like my music loud or at a reasonable level?
- 48: Do I live with my Mom and Dad?
- 49: Am I excited for anything?
- 50: Do I have someone of the opposite sex I can tell everything to?
- 51: How often do I wear a fake smile?
- 52: When was the last time I hugged someone?
- 53: What if the last person I kissed was kissing someone else right in front of me?
- 54: Is there anyone I trust even though I should not?
- 55: What is something I disliked about today?
- 56: If I could meet anyone on this earth, who would it be?
- 57: What do I think about most?
- 58: What’s my strangest talent?
- 59: Do I have any strange phobias?
- 60: Do I prefer to be behind the camera or in front of it?
- 61: What was the last lie I told?
- 62: Do I perfer talking on the phone or video chatting online?
- 63: Do I believe in ghosts? How about aliens?
- 64: Do I believe in magic?
- 65: Do I believe in luck?
- 66: What's the weather like right now?
- 67: What was the last book I've read?
- 68: Do I like the smell of gasoline?
- 69: Do I have any nicknames?
- 70: What was the worst injury I've ever had?
- 71: Do I spend money or save it?
- 72: Can I touch my nose with a tounge?
- 73: Is there anything pink in 10 feets from me?
- 74: Favourite animal?
- 75: What was I doing last night at 12 AM?
- 76: What do I think is Satan’s last name is?
- 77: What’s a song that always makes me happy when I hear it?
- 78: How can you win my heart?
- 79: What would I want to be written on my tombstone?
- 80: What is my favorite word?
- 81: My top 5 blogs on tumblr
- 82: If the whole world were listening to me right now, what would I say?
- 83: Do I have any relatives in jail?
- 84: I accidentally eat some radioactive vegetables. They were good, and what’s even cooler is that they endow me with the super-power of my choice! What is that power?
- 85: What would be a question I’d be afraid to tell the truth on?
- 86: What is my current desktop picture?
- 87: Had sex?
- 88: Bought condoms?
- 89: Gotten pregnant?
- 90: Failed a class?
- 91: Kissed a boy?
- 92: Kissed a girl?
- 93: Have I ever kissed somebody in the rain?
- 94: Had job?
- 95: Left the house without my wallet?
- 96: Bullied someone on the internet?
- 97: Had sex in public?
- 98: Played on a sports team?
- 99: Smoked weed?
- 100: Did drugs?
- 101: Smoked cigarettes?
- 102: Drank alcohol?
- 103: Am I a vegetarian/vegan?
- 104: Been overweight?
- 105: Been underweight?
- 106: Been to a wedding?
- 107: Been on the computer for 5 hours straight?
- 108: Watched TV for 5 hours straight?
- 109: Been outside my home country?
- 110: Gotten my heart broken?
- 111: Been to a professional sports game?
- 112: Broken a bone?
- 113: Cut myself?
- 114: Been to prom?
- 115: Been in airplane?
- 116: Fly by helicopter?
- 117: What concerts have I been to?
- 118: Had a crush on someone of the same sex?
- 119: Learned another language?
- 120: Wore make up?
- 121: Lost my virginity before I was 18?
- 122: Had oral sex?
- 123: Dyed my hair?
- 124: Voted in a presidential election?
- 125: Rode in an ambulance?
- 126: Had a surgery?
- 127: Met someone famous?
- 128: Stalked someone on a social network?
- 129: Peed outside?
- 130: Been fishing?
- 131: Helped with charity?
- 132: Been rejected by a crush?
- 133: Broken a mirror?
- 134: What do I want for birthday?
- 135: How many kids do I want and what will be their names?
- 136: Was I named after anyone?
- 137: Do I like my handwriting?
- 138: What was my favourite toy as a child?
- 139: Favourite Tv Show?
- 140: Where do I want to live when older?
- 141: Play any musical instrument?
- 142: One of my scars, how did I get it?
- 143: Favourite pizza toping?
- 144: Am I afraid of the dark?
- 145: Am I afraid of heights?
- 146: Have I ever got caught sneaking out or doing anything bad?
- 147: Have I ever tried my hardest and then gotten disappointed in the end?
- 148: What I'm really bad at
- 149: What my greatest achievments are
- 150: The meanest thing somebody has ever said to me
- 151: What I'd do if I won in a lottery
- 152: What do I like about myself
- 153: My closest Tumblr friend
- 154: Something I fantasise about
- 155: Any question you'd like?
Women, too, have been socialized to believe that the ultimate arbiters of their appearance are men, that anything they do with their appearance is or should be “for men.” That’s why women’s magazines trip over themselves to offer up advice on “what he wants to see you wearing” and “what men think of these current fashion trends” and “wow him with these new hairstyles.” While women can and do judge each other’s appearance harshly, many of us grew up being told by mothers, sisters, and female strangers that we’ll never “get a man” or “keep a man” unless we do X or lose some fat from Y, unless we moisturize//trim/shave/push up/hide/show/”flatter”/paint/dye/exfoliate/pierce/surgically alter this or that.
That’s also why when a woman wears revealing clothes, it’s okay, in our society, to assume that she’s “looking for attention” or that she’s a slut and wants to sleep with a bunch of guys. Because why else would a woman wear revealing clothes if not for the benefit of men and to communicate her sexual availability to them, right? It can’t possibly have anything to do with the fact that it’s hot out or it’s more comfortable or she likes how she looks in it or everything else is in the laundry or she wants to get a tan or maybe she likes women and wants attention from them, not from men?
The result of all this is that many men, even kind and well-meaning men, believe, however subconsciously, that women’s bodies are for them. They are for them to look at, for them to pass judgment on, for them to bless with a compliment if they deign to do so. They are not for women to enjoy, take pride in, love, accept, explore, show off, or hide as they please. They are for men and their pleasure.” —Why You Shouldn’t Tell That Random Girl On The Street That She’s Hot » Brute Reason (via albinwonderland)
john green takes a shower
john green eats a bean burrito
john green loses weight
john green finds inner peace
john green killed augustus waters
john green abandons his children
not only is the ceo of abercrombie & fitch a jackass but he treated marty mcfly’s family like shit in all the back to the futures and that is inexcusable